I have never been accused of having a green thumb or any other green limbs; however I certainly appreciate those who do. I prefer to spend my efforts cooking the outputs :). A coworker of mine shared her wonderful Chinese peppers which inspired me to make my take on chicken and broccoli. Please see the ingredients and directions below for a serving of two. You can always add-on for a larger group or for more meals during the week. Be sure to share your thoughts and like and share the post.
- 1/2 cup of brown or white rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 head of broccoli (or 1-1/2 cup of frozen broccoli florets)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or chicken breast if preferred)
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup of sliced peppers (use the heat range of your choice)
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika (optional)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Rinse and bring rice to a boil. Add a teaspoon of salt to rice once it begins to boil, lower heat to low and top up. Set timer for 20 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. While the oil is heating, rinse and season chicken on the top side with salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and optional paprika in a light coat. (You do not want the seasoning to be clumpy and heavy on the chicken.)
- Add chicken to hot pan, seasoned side down. Lightly season the other side with the same ingredients. While that cooks for about 2-3 minutes, put on gloves and slice a small onion (Do not dice).
- Slice hot peppers in half and remove some seeds to control the heat level. Slice the peppers into thin strips.
- Flip chicken to brown on the other side for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add sliced onion and peppers to pan, add a half of the water and cover. After about 3 minutes, move chicken and veggies to one side and add broccoli. If using fresh broccoli, add the other half of the 1/4 cup of water. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place chicken on top of broccoli so the broccoli is closest to the heat. Top and let cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir pot and test broccoli for tenderness. Remove the pot from the heat as the broccoli and chicken will continue to cook with the residual heat. Plate rice and chicken with vegetables on top.
- Paprika can be a great seasoning to add color to your dish. It will also take on the other flavors in your dish. You can also add cayenne instead for some added heat.
- If you use the cayenne, on the chicken, I would recommend swapping hot peppers for some mild, sweet red and yellow bell peppers.
- Chicken thighs tend to be more flavorful and moist than chicken breast which is why I chose that cut of meat for this dish.