Though scallops are not native to Louisiana, that certainly does not diminish my love for them. This dish came out of my need to use the kale I picked up from the farmers market last weekend; the other ingredients were items I had on hand. This is a quick and easy dish that takes 30 minutes or less and is modifiable with fish, shrimp or another protein of choice. You can also double the quinoa recipe for a second meal during the week with a different protein; my second meal with be with shrimp. 🙂 The recipe and ingredients are listed below. As always feel free to share your thoughts and the recipe with others. Enjoy!
Ingredients quinoa: (serves 4)
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups chopped kale
1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup quinoa
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup white wine (drink worthy)
1 1/2 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp coarse black pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper
4-6 sea scallops per person
1 1/2 tsp butter
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
*note the seasonings and butter above are per serving of scallops.
1. Chop onion, garlic and kale and sauté over medium heat in a splash of water.
2. Cook until soft, then add quinoa and toast for two minutes before adding the wine, remaining water and seasoning. Bring to a boil before reducing the heat and topping the pot. Set the timer for 20 minutes.
3. Take out scallops to let rest before cooking once the timer is at 15 minutes.
4. When the clock has 8 minutes remaining, open scallop packaging and lay out in an even layer. Sprinkle half of seasoning in an even coat on one side.
5. Melt butter over medium heat and once it begins to sizzle, add scallops seasoned side down. Season the other side and let cook for 3 minutes then flip to brown other side for another 2 minutes. (optional: add a tbsp. green onion.)
6. Remove from heat and let rest for a minute. (It will continue to cook slightly.)
7. Plate quinoa mixture and add scallops on top.