I meant it when I said that I like to use my leftovers. I went to the farmer’s market Saturday and picked up some fresh red potatoes, spinach green onion and egg to make a hash with my leftover steak from my steak dinner. I typically like to keep leftover reheating of items like steak or seafood to 1-3 days. When I say this was delicious and hit the spot after kickboxing and Krav Maga, I do not jest. While I was prepping the potatoes for this dish, I also decided to make two single-serving bags for breakfast during the week or weekend brunch. Essentially you would expand the potato portion of the recipe below for the number of people you are cooking for, prep the onion and potatoes in the same way and put it in a Ziploc bag and then the freezer until ready to use. You can also add white onion and bell pepper if desired. See the ingredients and recipe below for this easy breakfast brunch or dinner. As always, feel free to share your thoughts.
- 1-2 small red potatoes (1/2 cup)
- ¼ cup of chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1 tbsp. of oil or butter of choice
- Leftover steak (4-6 oz)
- Wash potatoes. Cut in half longwise and then dice each half by slicing each half into strips and then dicing into smaller pieces. You want them small so that they cook faster.
- Rinse and chop green onion. (Reserve a tbsp. of onion for eggs.) Smash garlic gloves to remove skin with the flat of your knife, cut off ends and then run dice until fine.
- Use half of the oil of your choice and heat over medium heat until pan is hot.
- Add potatoes, green onion, garlic and half of seasoning. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes before adding water topping it and reducing to medium-low heat. Let cook for 8 minutes.
- Rinse and chop spinach while potatoes are cooking. After 8 minutes stir the mixture and then add the spinach and the other half of seasoning. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- While spinach is cooking, cube the remaining steak. Reduce heat on potatoes and add steak to pan. Let cook for 2 minutes then cut off heat. The steak will continue to cook in residual heat.
- In a separate pan, heat the other half of the oil and drop in the 1 tbsp. of green onion. Once heated add eggs and cook to preferred temperature.
- Plate hash and top with the eggs. Enjoy!