Sometimes it’s good to have help from the store when you know you’ll have a hectic week. While I enjoy creating new dishes and putting things together, sometimes it’s a lot easier to throw something together from the store and add a little freshness to it at home. I’ve done just that twice this week with an inexpensive trip to Trader Joe’s and the farmers market.
My fruit and cheese tray had sliced local peaches, goat cheese, olives and pita crackers from trader joes and basil and rosemary from my backyard. Pair that with the wine of your choice and it’s golden with no cooking involved. Since I had more goat cheese after this meal I thought, why not make something equally quick with more fresh herbs, smoked salmon, and pickled red onion? With the remaining smoked salmon I made quick rolls with more goat cheese, avocado, left over pickled onion and basil. This could make a nice appetizer or meal depending on the how much you make. Below is the quick smoked salmon chips I enjoyed this week.
Smoked Salmon Chips
1 3oz pack smoked salmon ( optional: reserve half for rolls)
9 whole wheat pita chips
2 tbsp soft goat cheese
4 basil leaves
6 slices thinly sliced red onion
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Large green olives (optional)
1. Thinly slice a small onion. Reserve recipe amount and store the rest in the freezer for later use.
2. Add vinegar and honey to a small bowl and mix until honey dissolves. Add salt pepper and onions. Top with foil and put in the fridge. (Can be done the night before).
3. Lay out the pita chips on a plate and add olives if desired.
4. Spread the goat cheese evenly on the chips then rip basil leaves in half before evenly distributing the leaves on top of the cheese.
5. Open the package of smoked salmon and cut three strips into thirds before placing a piece on each chip.
6. Add pieces of pickled onion to each chip and enjoy.