It’s been a while since my last post. With the aftermath of the flooding in Baton Rouge, I was glad to put efforts to other use to help neighbors, friends and strangers through recovery.
While it will take a while to form a new normal, it felt great to support BREADA through the Saturday Red Stick Farmers Market food demos and do something I love.
Though I originally intended to make a crispy onion potato cake with a cucumber melon relish, some of the ingredients were not available. So as usual, I improvised and created something even better. I love eating what’s in season and the flexibility and creativity that goes along with it. Someone from the audience also gave me a great idea that I’ll try out this week with some of the remaining zucchini. I may do a second post with a crispy zucchini and onion cake with some seared fish that I’ll top with some the relish receive below. Both the slaw and relish are quick to make and can go easily with grilled or fried fish or chicken, make an easy addition to a salad or be added to a lunch wrap. Share your thoughts and feedback!
Cucumber Melon Relish
Serving Size: 4
1/2 cup of diced Asian melon
1/2 cup of diced cantaloupe
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. minced shallots
1 tbsp. seeded and diced jalapeño
1 tbsp. minced mint
1 tbsp. coarse black pepper
Summer Squash Slaw
Serving Size: 4
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup shredded squash
1/4 cup thinly sliced bell pepper
1 tbsp. minced green onion
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1.5 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. coarse black pepper
Directions for Relish:
1. Wash melon skin thoroughly under cool running water.
2. Pick a melon and cut off the ends of each to stabilize the melon, then peel off thin strips in smooth vertical pieces. Repeat with the second melon.
3. Wash and cut cucumber in half before peeling using the process in step two.
4. Cut melons and cucumber in four pieces curving around the seeded centers. Cut one fourth of each melon in thin strips and then dice it in small pieces. Repeat with the cucumber and place all in a medium bowl.
5. Rinse and mince the mint and add it to the bowl.
6. Cut a shallot in half and peel it. Dice it and mince it by running the knife over the pieces. Add to bowl.
7. Cut a small jalapeño in half and remove the seeds and ribs. Cut into thin strips before dicing it into small pieces and adding it to the bowl.
8. Add vinegar and pepper, stir well, cover and refrigerate.
9. Let chill and serve with the protein of your choice.
Directions for Slaw:
1. Add vinegar and honey to a bowl and whisk until well blended.
2. Rinse green onion and cut dice white ends into fine pieces. Add to bowl.
3. Rinse squash and zucchini and cut off both ends before grating it into the bowl.
4. Rinse a small bell pepper and cut in half to remove seeds and ribs. Slice into thin strips and add to bowl.
5. Mix well with a spoon and refrigerate until ready to use.