Though I don’t typically do this, I felt the need to continue what I started. Just as I hinted in Sunday’s post, I took the recommendation from a woman at my food demo who mentioned cooking zucchini like I crab cake. Instead I cooked it like I would a potato cake. I also seared white fish and topped it with more of the cucumber melon relish, or salsa as some have called it. It was delicious and easy to make.
I enjoyed the zucchini and onion cake so much, I made a second batch on Tuesday and included boiled shrimp. If you add four to five peeled boiled shrimp after you’ve followed step four in the recipe below, that’s another way to try this meal or have it different ways during the week. I certainly hope you find it as enjoyable as I did.
Crispy zucchini and onion cake
Makes 2 cakes
1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1 small egg
1/2 tbsp butter
1. Wash and cut the ends off of one medium-sized zucchini.
2. Using a box grater, grate zucchini into a measuring cup until you have one cup.
3. Add seasonings and egg and mix either by hand or with a spoon until well incorporated.
4. Melt butter over medium heat in a non-stick skillet and once hot add the mixture into two pancake like circles evenly.
5. Let cook for 3 minutes and check to see if brown before flipping and cooking the same amount of time on the other side.
6. Turn off heat, plate and enjoy.