I often keep a can of tuna and chicken on hand for easy dinner or lunches for when I don’t have the energy, or my meal from the night before did not stretch as far. This was a quick and fresh salad that can be changed to include any vegetables you have on hand. I kept it simple with my lone cucumber, though tomatoes, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage or squash would be a great addition for color and flavor. I find that variety keeps salads interesting. Instead of traditional lettuce, I went for the spicer green, arugula which is often mixed into salad greens. You can also use any kind of dressing for the greens, but I simply dressed mine with lime juice, salt and pepper. Chicken salad is another thing that can be made a million ways. This is one way I like to dress it up when I’m in the mood. Below are the ingredients and directions. Enjoy!
Chicken and Arugula Salad
Chicken and pecan salad ingredients:
1 can of chicken (12-14 oz)
1/4 cup softened cream cheese
1/8 cup chopped celery
1 tbsp. diced shallot
1 tbsp. green onion
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. coarse black pepper
1 tbsp. creole mustard
1 tbsp. mayo
1 tbsp. chopped pecans for garnish
2 cups of washed arugula
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup of chicken salad above
Juice from 1/2 lime (approx. 1 tbsp.)
Pinch of sea salt and pepper
1. Take cream cheese out of the fridge and lets it to become room temperature. If using a block, cut off a fourth.
2. Wash one stalk of celery until cool water. Slice into three strips and dice in small 1/4 inch pieces.
3. Cut ends off of a small shallot. Cut it in half and then peel one half. Cut into thin strips and mince into small pieces.
4. Chop a stem of green onion into small pieces.
5. Open a can of chicken and strain before putting into a medium bowl. Add celery, shallots and onion, seasoning, cream cheese, mayo and mustard. Mid until well combined.
6. Wash arugula and dry between two paper towels before adding to a bowl. Squeeze on lime juice and the pinch of salt and pepper and toss lightly before adding to a plate.
7. Peel and chop one third of a cucumber. Cut in half, then cut each half into three strips before dicing.
8. Add cucumber and 1/2 cup of chicken salad to the arugula and top with pecans.