While red beans and rice are a more popular go-to meal, sometimes it’s good to change things up. Field peas, like red beans, are a great source of fiber and other nutrients and make a great option for a change or an inexpensive bean meal during the week. I added oven fried chicken with a Shake n’ Bake since red beans are often eaten with fried chicken in the south. You can always add fresh herbs and spices to the mix to make it your own. This is the meal that is great to have going while your doing other things around the house as it is no fuss. I hope you give it a try.
Field Peas and oven fried chicken
1 lb dry field peas
1 lb smoked sausage
8 oz fresh or frozen green beans
10 cups of water
2 cups chopped onion
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. sea salt
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 cup of Rice
2 cups of water
Oven fried chicken
1 pack of shake n bake (box comes with 2)
2 tsp. fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. coarse black pepper
1. Empty peas into a bowl and rinse under cool water. Remove any debris.
2. Put a large pot on the stove over medium heat. While the pot heats, peel and chop a large onion and add it to the pot.
3. Once the onions began to sizzle, strain peas and add them to the pot.
4. Add the water and seasonings, cover and bring to a boil. Stir the pot then cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
5. Let cook for an hour. Within the last 10 minutes of the cooking, preheat the oven to the temp on the shake and bake box. Add seasoning and herbs to shake and bake mix in the included bag and coat chicken one piece at a time before placing on a foil-lined sheet pan.
6. Place chicken in the oven and add green beans to the pot and let both cook for 20 minutes.
7. Rinse and cook a cup of rice in two cups of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat and cover.
8. When the timer goes off, turn off the heat from the stove, remove chicken from the oven, plate and enjoy.