The cool morning was a great start to the food demo at the YMCA on Howell Boulevard. It was perfect weather and a great crowd for a fall stew. I’ve been on a kick using different proteins and veggies for fall stews. This version included ground round beef, fire roasted diced tomatoes, corn, green onion, garlic, zucchini, squash and kale. I flavored the dish with easy-to-find ingredients that has a spot in most pantries. This dish takes about 30 minutes to prepare including prep time since you will be chopping vegetables and adding them as you go. Find your favorite pandora station or pop in a cd for some tunes while you cook. Enjoy and share your feedback!
1 lb ground round beef (85/15 or 80/20)
1 6 oz can of tomato paste (no salt added)
1 14.5 oz can of regular or fire roasted diced tomato (no salt added)
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 cups chopped green onion including whites
1 cup shredded kale
1 cup of fresh corn
1/2 cup of julienned zucchini
1/2 cup julienned squash
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tbsp. sea salt (optional)
1/2 tbsp. coarse black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups of water
1. Place a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add ground beef and break apart with a fork or large spoon.
2. While the ground beef browns, rinse two green onion stalks. Cut off root ends and chop thin. Add to ground beef and stir.
3. Smash garlic cloves by laying knife flat against a clove and striking gently with the heel of your hand, chop off rough end and chop garlic into chunky pieces. Add to pot and stir.
4. Once meat is browned, stir in the can of tomato paste and add the can of diced tomato.
5. Shuck 2 ears of corn and rinse it. Cut it off of the cob and add corn to pot and a cup to a cup and a half of water. Bring to a boil then top and reduce heat to medium.
6. Cut both ends off the zucchini and squash. Cut each in half horizontally, then cut them in half vertically. You will only need half of each vegetable. Slice each half into thin strips. (If using a larger squash or zucchini, lay each half flat side down and slice in half like you would a thick burger patty or hunk of cheese).
7. Add the squash and zucchini to the pot and add seasonings and stir.
8. Rinse kale and rip into small pieces into a bowl. Add kale and let simmer for 5-7 minutes.
9. Serve by itself or with rice.