I am a fan of curry and have had many varieties dining out. I love that curry is quite versatile and can be made with many different proteins including seafood.
Since I so thoroughly enjoyed the meat from ourfamilyfarm66, I decided to make a hearty lamb curry. I used a mix of fresh vegetables from the farmer’s market and my always on-hand frozen green beans. This one-pot wonder took all of 20 minutes to make and it is a dish that is easy to stretch with additional vegetables should it be needed for a larger group. This dish serves 6-8. Try my take on a different flavor of curry and be sure to share your thoughts. Below are the ingredients and directions for the dish. Enjoy!
1 lb. ground lamb
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup of quartered red potatoes (2-3 small)
1 large carrot
1/3 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup green beans
1/2 cup shredded basil
1 cup beef broth (unsalted or reduced sodium)
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup reduced fat coconut milk
1 1/2 tbsp. curry powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tbsp. sea salt
1 tbsp. coarse black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
Rice and water for desired servings
1. Prepare rice as described on package. Remove defrosted or fresh lamb from fridge to remove chill.
2. Wash potatoes and quarter them by cutting in half, then each half into fours. Keep skin for extra nutrients.
3. Peel and chop carrot into large pieces. Peel and dice onion and add it all to a medium-sized pot or pan over medium heat. Let it sizzle and crisp up before adding half the stock and all of the water.
4. Let cook for 5 minutes with the top. While it cooks, rinse and fold basil leaves in half before slicing into strips. Rinse a handful of cherry tomatoes and slice them in half.
5. Add lamb and reduce heat. Stir and break up meat gently. Add basil leaves and all of the seasoning. Lamb cooks quickly, so watch it carefully. (About 4-6 minutes)
6. Add remaining stock, green beans and coconut milk. Stir to mix everything well and reduce to low heat.
7. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes then turn off heat.
8. Serve with rice and enjoy.