I knew at the beginning of the week that this week would be busy. So I pulled out the crockpot so that I could cook and run necessary errands. I know we all get busy and try to eat well while managing hectic schedules, so I thought this dish could make a great addition when you are on the go. I decided to load up the traditional meat sauce with extra veggies for those lunches and dinners where I won’t have time or energy to make an extra vegetable. This dish is great because of course it stretches further and I personally didn’t feel any guilt about a little extra sauce since I know it is loaded with great veggies and even better flavors. Check out the recipe below and share your thoughts!
1 lb. lean ground beef
3 medium carrots chopped
3 cups chopped kale
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped parsley
1 14.5 oz can diced tomato no salt added
1 28 oz crushed tomato
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 tbsp. onion powder
2 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. coarse black pepper
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 cup of water
1. Cut off the ends of a large onion. Peel it and cut in half before dicing each half.
2. Peel and dice 3 medium carrots.
3. Brown ground meat with onion and carrots in a large skillet for 5-7 minutes.
4. Once cooked, at the mixture to the crockpot.
5. Open all cans and add contents to the crockpot. Stir well.
6. Add in all seasoning and mix well.
7. Rinse and chopped parsley and add to the crockpot.
8. Rinse and chopped kale, which makes about 3 cups. Add kale and water, if needed and top the crockpot.
9. Set timer and cook on high for four hours.
10. Serve with pasta and enjoy.