Seafood is an easy go-to in my book and with so many flavors that can be added to it, what’s not to love? In observance of the Lent season, I wanted to offer up this quick 10 minute dish that is both flavorful and filling. It refrigerates well and is wonderful with mixed greens.
Quick tip: if you are not a fan of leftovers, it helps to be prepared with individual bags of frozen shrimp. I typically buy 5 lbs and break it down into single (5-6 shrimp) double (10-12 shrimp) or full pound bags for a larger dish. It it easy to then cook shrimp for 5 minutes and cut up the fruit and veggies of choice for a quick meal. Trader Joe’s has the adorable and perfectly portioned teeny tiny avocados that come six to a bag, so you can always make this dish as you go in single or double servings.
Also, if you are unfamiliar with mangoes and how to cut them, check out this quick YouTube video to learn how to pick and cut them: https://youtu.be/oTsMZ38vxYc
Check out the recipe below.
Seafood salad with spicy sesame dressing
2 cup pieces, Mangos, raw
1 medium, Avocado
0.50 tablespoon, Oil – Sesame
0.50 tbsp, Honey
2 Tbsp (15ml), Low Sodium
1 tbsp, Rice Wine Vinegar
6 oz, Shrimps (about 10-12)
9 oz, Crab Delights, Imitation Crabmeat (1 1/4 cup)
1 tsp avocado oil
1/2 tbsp. onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel and devine shrimp ( or defrost frozen shrimp.
2. Add avocado oil to medium skillet over medium heat. While it heats season shrimp with salt and pepper and onion powder. Add to heated skillet and cook for 2 minutes per side then remove pan from heat.
3. While shrimp cools, add vinegar, oil, sriracha an honey to a medium bowl and mix well with a fork. Rough chop the imitation crab and add to dressing.
4. Cut avocado in half long wise and score the avocado longwise and the across making small cubes. Gently with a spoon, scoop into the bowl.
5. Rinse mango. The center of the entire fruit is a pit so similar to cutting the avocado, cut a strip longwise from either side around the center and score and cube the fruit like the avocado. Push the skin inside out so fruit stands like buildings. Cut in small cubes off into the bowl.
6. Add in shrimp and lightly season with salt and pepper. Mix well with a spoon.