Pepper steak is incredibly comforting and easy to make. Best of all, it fits in one. It can be eaten with mashed potatoes or your favorite rice dish and makes great leftovers. I love to add different vegetables like peppers, mushrooms and onion, but you can always add your favorite mix of seasonal veggies. Sauteed leafy greens such as spinach, Swiss chard or other greens make a great side dish. But for this go round I topped it with micro greens for the same nutrient packing punch with less of the chewing. Check out the recipe below and share your thoughts!
2 large thick cut filet or ribeye steaks
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 medium onion
1 container of crimini mushrooms
1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of water
3 large red potatoes
1/2 tbsp. butter
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cube potatoes and add to water. Slice 1/2 of the onion into thin slices and add to pot.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Lightly season steaks on one side with garlic powder, a pinch of salt and pepper. Place season side down in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes. Season other side.
- Rinse and chop bell pepper into large pieces. Cut large mushrooms into fourths and smaller in half.
- Flip steaks and move one side of the skillet. Add peppers and mushrooms.
- Peel and slice onion into thin slices. Add to the skillet and add 1/2 cup of water.
- Reduce heat to simmer and top up pan. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Strain potatoes and onions and add 1/2 tbsp of butter and salt and pepper to taste. Mash until chunky smooth.
- Plate and top with micro greens. (Optional)