Chicken is a go to protein for the average family, but it doesn’t have to be boring. Working with new clients for cooking sessions keeps me inspired to blend interesting flavors and textures together. Since chicken dishes were requested, I decided to jazz up the traditional and add a twist of different. This tomato basil balsamic chicken dish, paired with mashed cauliflower and potato medley, was flavorful and easy to make while introducing new flavors for my client. As a way to transform leftovers, this would make a wonderful sandwich with lettuce, tomato and mozzarella. Check out the recipe below and be sure to share your thoughts!
Tomato Basil Balsamic Chicken
5 large chicken breast
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 cups diced tomato (2 medium tomatoes)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. sea salt
1 tbsp. coarse black pepper
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 cup water
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Rinse chicken and season lightly with half of the seasoning evenly.
- Once the skillet is hot, place the chicken seasoned side down. Season the other half.
- Add a splash of water and lower the heat to medium. Flip the chicken after 2-3 minutes to continue to brown evenly.
- Chop basil and tomatoes. Add to the skillet. Add a splash of water, the vinegar and flip the chicken again.
- Lower the heat to medium low and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Plate and enjoy!