Shrimp and okra is a Southern Classic and a childhood favorite! With the random cold front, I was in the mood for something comforting. Though it’s early yet for farm fresh okra, I grabbed a pound of frozen okra from the produce stand to complement the Anna Marie Seafood shrimp I had from my local farmers market. My rule of thumb is pretty much a pound of each main ingredient: okra, shrimp and sausage. You can play with fresh stewed tomatoes from the market or use these quick tips for a quicker dish. This takes 30-45 minutes to make depending on the cook time or your okra, as some can be more slimy than others. Check out these tips below and enjoy!
1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
1 lb sausage
1 lb chopped okra (16oz)
1 14oz can stewed or diced tomato
1 14oz can tomato sauce
3 tbsp. fresh or dried Italian seasoning (thyme, rosemary, parsley, oregano blends)
1 tsp. cayenne
2 cups chopped onion
6 cloves garlic
4 cups water
- Add chopped onion to a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped okra and 2 cups of water. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Slice sausage. Peel and mince or press garlic cloves and add garlic and sausage to the pot.
- Add seasoning, remaining water, tomatoes and sauce. Cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and additional water if needed. Let cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve over rice or stand alone.