I know it’s been a while since my last post. I made a life change and decided to go back to school full time. Who would have thought I’d be more busy in school than working full time?! But school or not, a girl has got to eat. While I have been cooking, I haven’t been posting so my goal is to get to a new normal schedule.
I’m starting with my take on Sheppard’s pie. Spoiler alert, this is not your mom’s Sheppard’s pie. It has elements of healthy with an infusion of vegetables and loads of flavor. My philosophy is the vegetables balance the butter that is absolutely required for the potatoes. This pan makes enough for 8 to 10 servings depending on if your into generous portions. Check out the recipe below. 🙂
2 lbs ground turkey
2 cups diced carrot
2 cups diced zucchini
1 cup of diced bell pepper
1 cup peas
3 cups diced onion
1/4 cup minced garlic
6 oz tomato sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste with Italian seasoning
1 tbsp red pepper flake
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tbsp of garlic and onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
4 cups of mashed potatoes
1/2 tbsp. avocado oil
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup of parsley (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and dice 2-3 large potatoes and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until potatoes can be pierced smoothly with a fork.
- Peel and dice onion. Add one cup to potatoes. Peel and mince garlic and add both to a medium pot over medium heat with oil.
- Peel and chop carrots and add to the pot with a splash of water to soften.
- Add ground turkey and brown with garlic and onion and carrots.
- While browning turkey, rinse zucchini, slice in half, then cut into strips before dicing. Rinse and dice bell pepper.
- Add diced zucchini and bell pepper to the pot. Open cans and stir in tomato paste, then add sauce and seasoning.
- Add peas then remove the pan from heat.
- Drain potatoes and onion and mash with butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add meat mixture to a oven-safe baking dish then add potatoes on top in an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes uncovered to firm up the mixture.