Thanksgiving brings together family with food and fun and also brings the opportunity to share gratitude. In addition to time with family we all look forward to our favorite dishes for the Thanksgiving holiday. While I am certainly looking forward to mirliton dressing, I will also prepare a healthy side to share my gratitude for health in this season.
I fell in love with the oyster mushrooms from the Red Stick Farmers Market and wanted to share this tasty idea a side option. With multiple varieties of kale in season, I selected the tender Dino kale and sautéed them with garlic and the mushrooms for a quick and easy side dish. You can always substitute any other mushroom of choice. Check out the recipe below.
In addition to this recipe, the savory sweet potato dishes in my last post would also make great seasonal sides. I challenge you to make a healthy dish and add it to the mix this Thanksgiving. Be sure to share your creations!
Sautéed Kale and Mushrooms
4 cups of Kale
2 cups of oyster mushrooms diced
6-8 cloves of garlic minced
1 tbsp. Olive oil
1/2 cup of water
1 tsp. Red pepper flakes or cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse kale and slice leaves in half longwise before chopping.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Peel and mince garlic and add to oil. Add red pepper flakes.
- Chop mushrooms and add to garlic. Add in kale and stir well for one minute.
- Add water, top and reduce heat to low for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.