Sometimes I crave comfort through food and potatoes is always the perfect avenue. I know I’ve made many versions of potato dishes over the years, and particularly smothered potatoes. It is a dish that always delivers and brings contentment. It’s great both as a main dish or side dish, though in this case, I went for a complete meal. While the base dish doesn’t include a leafy green, I intentionally added a few handfuls of kale to round out the nutrition in this comforting favorite. Check out the recipe below.
2 cups died sweet potatoes
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced bell pepper
14 oz sliced turkey sausage
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp dried rosemary
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup water
- Peel and diced onion and add it to a medium pan. Rinse and scrub sweet potatoes before dicing and add to the pan. (Peel if preferred)
- Start cooking over medium heat and add a splash of water to prevent sticking.
- Peel and minced garlic and dice bell pepper and add to the pan. Let cook for 10 minutes.
- Slice sausage while cooking potatoes. Add sausage, herbs and seasonings and stir well.
- Add balsamic vinegar over pan cook for ten to fifteen minutes.